Returning Medical Sharps
Does your household use medical sharps for a family member’s health condition? If so, don’t throw them in the garbage. Improper disposal could put household members, pets, housekeepers, janitors and municipal workers at risk of being harmed by needle stick injuries. Instead, take them to your local pharmacy that participates in the HPSA return programs. By doing this you ensure the proper collection and disposal of these items. Do your part in protecting the environment. It’s easy and free.
What products can
I return to pharmacies?
- Needles and safety-engineered needles
- Any other instrument that is designed to puncture the skin for medical purposes.
- Glucose meters
- IV bags
- Cotton swabs
- Any other components
How to return
Visit your local participating pharmacy to receive an approved sharp container free of charge. Once you have your container follow these steps:
- Recap needles and drop or place into an approved sharp container. DO NOT OVERFILL.
- When ready to return, permanently close the container by inserting the tab into the opening to secure the lid down.
- Take back the secured container to a participating pharmacy.
Thank you for playing your part in protecting the environment.