The Health Products Stewardship Association (HPSA) operates returns programs that are an easy and safe way to dispose of medications and other health products that we all have in our homes. We encourage the public to safely return their medications and medical sharps instead of throwing them away or being misused by others. And it’s free for consumers and pharmacists!
HPSA represents producers of consumer health products in Canada. The association was formed by producers to ensure the safe and effective collection and disposal of their products. We fulfill their stewardship obligations in provinces that have Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) regulations regarding consumer health products (CHP). We also serve as a national industry liaison and members’ representative to help raise awareness on proper disposal issues.
Governed by a board of directors representing companies that produce consumer health products, HPSA is a federally registered not-for-profit organization. It operates collection and disposal programs that focus on prescription drugs, natural health products, over-the-counter medications, and medical sharps waste generated by the public in their homes.
- Manitoba Sharps Collection Program (MSCP) is launched
- New Medication containers introduced in British Columbia
- New Medication containers introduced in Ontario, PEI and Manitoba
Island Medications Return Program (IMRP) and Islands Sharps Collection Program (ISCP) are launched
PEI Regulation EC 2014-349: Environmental Protection Act – Materials and Stewardship and Recycling Regulations is passed
Ontario Medications Return Program (OMRP) and Ontario Sharps Collection Program (OSCP) are launched
PCPSA name transitions to Health Product Stewardship Association (HPSA)
- Ontario EPA 298/12 is passed
- Manitoba Household Hazardous Material and Prescribed Material Stewardship Regulation is passed
- Manitoba Medications Return Program (MMRP) is launched
BC Recycling Regulations, Schedule 2 is passed
BC ENVRX program renamed to BC Medications Return Program (BCMRP)
- Post-Consumer Pharmaceutical Stewardship Association (PCPSA) is formed and federally registered
- BC ENVRx program is launched